here is the latest version
This is watercolour on 300gm Arches Hot Pressed and is 560x380mm.
- I have been reading Alex Powers and in this version I have tried to do a few things differently:
- I have tried to establish a movement through the darks from the left, over the top, to the right of the painting, though I fear my darks at the top are not dark enough.
- I have tried to set up the foreground lady as a paper-doll and the foreground chairs in the front as a silhouette. Perhaps I need to put more darks into the bags on the rack at the top to lead the eye through the jumble up there and down to the waitress.
- I stole the waitress, again, from Alvaro Castagnet who does this so beautifully in his restaurant paintings. My next intention is to look out for those typical restaurant scenes that I can add, like the way waiters stand when they are selling and taking orders.
- I had hoped that adding some of the patterns on the floor would pull the painting together.
- I have worked a bit more detail into the portraits and figures.
I started with a detailed drawing. There is a LOT going in in this place from top to bottom. A lot!
And here is my first wash:
then I worked through the afternoon to complete the top half of the painting:
Finally I put in the lower half – the darks – tomorrow will show whether they are dark enough.