I have received a number of requests for a painting of Helderberg mountain from people visiting the exhibition. So I thought I would sit and bang off a few sitting there – lots of confidence there. And I have found the scene to be a whole new party. There are so many shades of green, grey and red in the mountain. And there is the matter of the body of water complete with water-lilies. Dear me – it is quite a project. There were a small number of people who did a LOT to help me prepare for the exhibition and I wanted to give them each a painting of the mountain. I think I am getting close but there is still a way to go. Here is what I have done so far – more or less in chronological order. These are all 19×28 inches except for one.
In the following painting I tried to organise all the colours on the page.
Below is the last one I did sitting at the pond. This is 15×22 inches:
I did the following three in my studio over the last couple of days. I have been feeling rather tired lately so I battled a little with concentration. But I feel as though I have made some progress that I can take back to the field. My new art box is part of a display in the exhibition, with a board on it on which I have taped the unmounted paintings from the wedding commission. I am looking forward to getting it functional again.
I have been reading about how other people capture water. This is definitely my new area of endeavour.