Here is the final image version of this watercolour.
The above image was taken outside in the shade on a sunny day.
The warmer colours are nearer to the actual colours of the painting I think.
The watercolour is 1100 x 1000 mm on Arches Cold Pressed – off a roll.
Based on Leslie’s last comment I am going to present these posts from recent to older as you read down. In other words, I will add the new versions to the top of the page rather than the bottom. Thanks for the idea Leslie. I will see how it goes. I have a new sheet stretched and waiting to go.
What follows is a brief journal of the creation of this watercolour. I have kept in the comments I made as I posted each step.
Tonight I was really keen to do the first wash on this painting. And here we are:
This new board is really quite unwieldy and I have to lean right over to do the washes. I have tried to do more saturated washes and introduce more chop into the sea near the horizon – looks OK I think – we will see tomorrow – now I am feeling kaput.
Here is what I did last night:
I did grey and orange boulder on the right in a single wash in which I felt like I was getting the hang of the whole thing. My concern right now is how to keep the whole painting together. And I started the figure but she needs bolder colours.
I am battling to get going today so I have enlisted the services of Olga Kern who is playing Chopin’s Piano Concerto No.1 with the Warsaw Philharmonic Orchestra.
Well here we go now, time for a break:
I think it is working. The rocks on the left need a little work maybe. I must be careful not to put too much more colour in my figure otherwise she will outweigh the rocks. Here she is now:
I wanted the purples to react with the yellowy green water. Poor thing – maybe she needs a cozi.
I also added some detail to the skyline – I may darken the sky a little to soften the impact of the horizon:
Anycase I am going to put this aside for a while to consider the varnishing – thats what they called it in the old days ‘varnishing’ – finishing your painting.
A final comment on stretching
Last night I stretched another large sheet. But this time I wet the paper with a brush, possibly a little too much as the water was seeping from under the paper. The board had slight tilt. However I waited for over an hour for the paper to slake before I taped and stapled the sheet. I stapled about 100mm apart. This morning the sheet was tight and unwrinkled and is leaning on the board just to my side pleading silently for me to start another painting.